Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring is here! Spring is here!

Spring is here and I'm so excited! No, I don't live in a snowy or super cold part of the country, so I haven't been trapped inside for months. But I still love spring! I love the flowers, the birds, and the excitement on my kids' faces when they can enjoy all the new growth.

You can't currently tell it's spring at my house, as it's cold (for us) and has been rainy for a couple weeks.

BUT... last week Little Miss discovered a super special thing in the bush by our front door...



Yes, it's a hummingbird nest! I've never seen one before (nor have I ever seen a hummingbird sit so perfectly still!) She's a very fiesty mama if anyone even brushes the bush (she flies around squawking at you, as the UPS man has discovered a couple times!)

I did manage to see into the nest one day when she was gone getting food, but could only snap a quick pic on my camera, so the quality (and focus) is bad.


To estimate size, make a circle with your thumb and pointer finger. That's the size of the outside of the nest! Imagine how tiny the eggs themselves are!

Once the babies are born I'll try to get a pic to update you all.

What's your favorite part of spring?

3 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to be able to witness this!I love hummingbirds, they are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in awe as I've watched humming birds feeding, but am even more amazed to see the mother bird sitting on her delicate nest. Thanks so much for sharing. Decided to follow so I can see the babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but I just came across it. I love that hummingbird picture! Very cool. :D

    ReplyDelete