Saturday, September 5, 2009

Whatever happened to the edited for TV movies?

Whatever happened to the edited for TV movies? I grew up watching Breakfast Club, Indiana Jones and other such movies, but all of the racy or violent parts were edited out.

Now, all of the movies like them (including Indiana Jones, Transformers, and basically every movie that boys want to see) are too scary, violent, or sexy for kids. And they don't edit them anymore. So my choice is to let my child watch something I don't believe is appropriate for them, or I can be the meanest mom in the world.

Needless to say, I'm the meanest mom in the world (although Bok Boy always says that the ogre's mom is the meanest, not me). What do you do? My son's friend gets to watch them all and then have nightmares. My son, well, he just gets to play with the toys and learn what he can from his friends.

My simple wish is that one of the 900 cable channels would make edited for TV shows, like we used to watch in the good ole days! It would help save my sanity (and I need every little bit that I can get!)

6 comments:

  1. I always thought they still did edit some things. I guess only the "for kids" movies would be best then. Sorry about that though, I'm sure it would be hard to say no all the time.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. It's hard to raise kids today, with all the out-of-control peer pressure and ridiculous expectations for parents.

    I've got an idea. Get rid of cable! We just get broadcast channels. It's the basic package and it costs about $12 a month. Broadcast channels still edit movies (on the rare occasion that they show a movie that is).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand that. And I read all these juvenile literature books now, even though my son is six, because some are just WOW -- not right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard these days, things were so different when we were kids and now we are always on guard because it seems like no one cares about censoring our children against the "bad things" in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that stores like Walmart and Blockbuster might offer family-friendly edited versions of films, but I agree that it's sometimes shocking what passes for appropriate content in the peak TV watching hours for children! I think a station entirely devoted to "safe" content and edited versions of Hollywood films makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not alone. It's sickening how much is allowed on television. I only subscribe to standard cable, and that still doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete